April 24, 2010

The Box is Built! Now where did I put those seeds???

First off, let me introduce myself.  My name is Kimberly and I live in Ontario, Canada.  I have two beautiful daughters (2 1/2 and 9 months) and a wonderful husband that supports my crazy ideas.  My latest "crazy idea" is to build a square foot garden and grow my own vegetables.  I'm trying to eat healthier and save some money, so why not?  Plus, it is a great way to teach my oldest daughter (and the youngest eventually) that carrots grow in the ground, not in the freezer section of the grocery store.

I learned about the square foot gardening method from Mel Bartholomew.  You can check out his website here:  http://www.squarefootgardening.com/.  I also recommend his book: All New Square Foot Gardening: Grow More in Less Space.  It's very informative.

Anyhow, back to my square foot garden (SFG).  Who knew it would be so hard to find vermiculite?  You would figure that it would be easy to find.  Nope!  I called around to local garden centres and finally found a source.  Whew!  Now I can make my "Mel's Mix".  Mel's Mix is a combination of 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite and 1/3 blended compost.  I used sheep, cattle and shrimp compost mixed together and plan to start my own compost this summer so I can use that in my garden next year.  But that's a whole other can of worms! (no pun intended)

The next step was to build the box.  This is where my husband comes in.  He spent the whole afternoon today building me a beautiful 3x4 foot box.

















Isn't it amazing?  I think he did a great job!

Now all I have to do is fill it with my Mel's Mix, put on the grid and start planting!  Wish me luck that there's no rain tomorrow so I can get some planting done!

1 comment:

  1. I had the hardest time finding vermiculite for my SFG as well, but after calling every garden center in a 30 mile radius I found someone willing to order it for me. I switched from traditional gardening to SFG last season, my boxes are pretty basic, your husband did a wonderful job on yours! I have also used the topsy turvy strawberry thing, it worked well, but only lasted one season. It fell apart after that and I had to transplant my strawberries. I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete