April 26, 2010

Upsy Daisy!

I bought myself a tomato plant today.  I started seedlings or planted from seed everything but tomatoes.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe I wanted to make sure my tomato plant had the best start.  I chose a variety called Early Girl.  It's supposed to grow to maturity in 50 days.

I decided early on that I was not going to plant tomatoes in my SFG.  My mother had one of those Topsy Turvy planters last year and her tomato plant did absolutely amazing in it.  So, to save some space and make my garden a little more interesting, I bought a Topsy Turvy and planted my brand new tomato plant in it.  I didn't get a chance to take a picture of it.  I'll post one tomorrow.

Now, it's still a little early to plant tomatoes in my zone (5a), so I've covered it with a blanket for the night.  It's only going to get down to +1C overnight, but with the wind it's supposed to feel like -5C.  I don't want my tomato to get a chill.  I hope the blanket works.

I'm also going to plant my peppers and cucumbers in the Topsy Turvy.  I have to wait until almost the end of May in my zone though.  We'll see what happens.  Hopefully it works out as well as I hope it will.

Call me crazy, but I bought a strawberry Topsy Turvy too!  Hey, I should buy stock in this company.  Hmmmmmm.....  Sorry, I digress, back to the strawberries.  The Topsy Turvy has 15 holes in it that apparently can have 2 strawberry plants in each, for a total of 30 strawberry plants.  I bought 3 packs of 10 strawberry plants and will plant them in the planter some time this week.  My 2 year old loves strawberries, so these will go over really well.  I hope to get some berries this year, but I know I may not get anything until next year.  Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment